The inherent advantages of bikes over larger, less environmentally friendly modes of transportation are well known. Though they’re not the vehicle of choice for multiple passengers or hauling large amounts of material, they are nimble, fast, and have a much smaller carbon footprint. The fact that bikes are sometimes more common on the road than cars and trucks in the most densely populated regions in the world used to be a novelty to foreigners, but over the last decade or so, bikes have become an international staple of congested urban environments.
As more metropolitan professionals adopted bikes to commute around town, those advantages were limited by the issues with bicycles. They make you tired and sweaty, and while the gears do assist in traversing varied terrain, if you’re just a regular unathletic joe looking to get around town, you may be more inclined to throw up your hands and take the car. Motor-powered bicycles seemed like a bit of a novelty and came with their own set of issues.
Enter the eBike. Rechargeable electric bikes revolutionize intra-city travel with their ease of use, extensive range, and low environmental impact. Commuting via an electric bike to work isn’t just easier; it’s more fun. The pedal-assist feature on these bikes gives you the feeling of super strength and stamina, so older folks or people with a lower fitness level can get out there and ride confidently. As your strength and stamina grow from riding much more often, you’ll grow to rely on the motor less, though it’ll always be there as a safety net. Experienced riders love eBikes, too, for their power and speed, helping them tackle rough trails and hills that would otherwise leave them panting. The market for these bikes has exploded in recent years, with a greater variety and lower prices than ever.
This curated list of some of the best electric bikes for commuters will help you dip a toe in the water, and by the end, you’ll be able to decide which one has exactly the right specifications for you.
1. RadCity Step-Thru 3
Starting off our list of the best electric commuter bikes is the RadCity Step-Thru 3, a sleekly designed city bike with a low-step frame. The integrated rear rack is a sturdy attachment point for panniers, baskets, or even a compatible child’s seat. Zipping around on errands or even grabbing a few things at the convenience store without hauling out your old daily driver is a breeze. With a balanced range of features like a 750W brushless Shengyi direct drive hub motor with regenerative braking, 5 level pedal assist with 12 magnet cadence sensor. With a range of over 45 miles per charge, this bike is an excellent first choice for those looking for a good commuting e-bike that has enough range and power to hit the trails too.
- 275 lb Payload capacity
- 750W brushless Shengyi direct drive hub motor with regenerative braking
- Intelligent 5 level pedal assist with 12 magnet cadence sensor
- Water-resistant connectors and wiring harness
- 750W Direct Drive Hub Motor
- Range: Up to 45+ miles per charge
- Battery: 48V, 14 Ah Lithium-Ion battery
- Weight: 65 lbs
2. Turbo Vado SL 4.0 EQ
This little e-bike does a heck of a lot in a small package. The Turbo Vado is fully equipped with high-quality features like 2x Rider Amplification for when you need a boost getting up those more imposing hills, super-bright headlights to illuminate your way in the evening, and an impressive extended range of 120 miles. Premium Nimbus II Sport Reflect tires get you a firm grip on asphalt and gravel or dirt alike. This bike is ideal for those who want something hardy and rugged enough to do what they need out on those more remote trails while still being compact and light enough to feasibly commute to the office and store with relative ease.
- Pedals are Specialized Commuter with grip tape and reflectors
- 210 Lumen 12V headlight
- Tires are Nimbus II Sport Reflect, 700x38mm
- 2x Rider Amplification (180% assistance) up to 28mph
- Battery: Specialized SL1-320, fully integrated, 320 Wh
- The battery has optional Range Extender compatibility for an extended range of 120 mi
- Motor: Specialized SL 1.1, custom lightweight motor
3. DŌST Drop E-Bike
The DOST Drop eBike is the perfect solution to range anxiety, with an optional second battery that extends your territory to encompass 120 miles of possibility. The step-through frame and extra-wide cushioned saddle make for a comfortable means of transport. An adjustable angle stem and cloud-like suspension make riding feel super easy if you want it to until you’re ready to engage the pedals. Epic mountain trail rides, backroad sightseeing, or a stylish and energy-efficient commute are equally within reach with this does-it-all option.
- Available in Glacier White and Space Grey colorways
- KMC Anti-Rust eBike chain
- Optional dual battery system increases potential range to 120 mi
- 750W Bafang G340 (BBS02), mid drive motor, 120 nM of torque
- Weight: 64 lbs
- Battery: 48V, 14 Ah (672 Wh) Samsung lithium-ion frame battery
- Optional Additional Battery: 48V, 10.4 Ah (500 Wh)
4. Turboant - Swift S1 Folding Fat Tire Electric Bike
This bike of the future handles well both inside and outside of civilization, the purported substitute for your all-terrain vehicle. An adjustable front suspension fork and 20 x 4-inch puncture-resistant fat tires combine to tackle lawns, beaches, bumpy pavement, gravel, and muddy mountain trails with relative ease. When extra suspension isn’t necessary, the front fork can be locked for long stretches of flat terrain or paved conditions. The coolest thing about this bike is its ability to quickly fold up in seconds for easy storage in another vehicle, in your closet, or even under a work desk.
- 20mph max speed
- 20 x 4-inch puncture-resistant Kenda fat tires
- Folds in seconds to these folded dimensions: 38 x 23.5 x 31 inches
- 35-60 mile range
- Battery: 48V 14 Ah Detachable Lithium-Ion
- Motor: 75W Gear Hub Motor
- Frame: Aluminum Alloy 6061
5. BAM Power Bikes Step-Thru
If you’ve ever considered driving less to improve your lifestyle and reduce your carbon footprint, an ebike like the BAM Step-Thru is a very accessible way to do it. The desire to do it all with pure muscular-driven power is admirable, but it’s also another mental obstacle to getting started. Burn-out and exhaustion are a harsh reality you know you’ll have to face if you go it the old-fashioned way. What do you do when you run out of steam, and you’re miles from your destination?
You are drenched in sweat and panting, huffing and puffing while you walk your bike down the trail because you can’t pedal anymore. It doesn’t have to be that way; let BAM’s powerful electric motor take the strain for you on those difficult stretches of the ride, so you can focus on a consistent pace that’s right for you. Samsung’s lithium-ion cells are energy efficient, lasting 45 miles before requiring a charge. Technology exists to help us, and it can take away the barriers between you and a healthier lifestyl
- Extra comfortable Velo plush seat and relaxed riding position
- Rear rack perfect for attachable
- 45-mile range
- Front and rear LED lights
- Weight: 62 lbs
- Motor: 750 W Shengyi Hybrid Direct Hub
- Battery: 48V 14 Ah Lithium-Ion Samsung Cells
6. RadCity 4 Electric Commuter Bike
Some elitists turn their noses up at RadCity, but only because their bikes are ubiquitous. And you see them everywhere because they’re awesome and affordable. This year’s model of the classic Radcity electric commuter bike features swept-back handlebars so you can relax and ease into a longer ride, up to 45 miles on a single charge. 180mm mechanical disk brakes stop instantly in the face of any obstacle or hairpin turn. Wherever you need to go in town, RadCity rules the streets and will get you there comfortably and safely.
- Range: 45 miles
- Tires: Rad Power Bikes by Kenda K-Rad 26″ x 2.3″, K-Shield puncture-resistant liner
- One-size-fits-most 18.5 inch frame
- Swept back handlebars for comfort on longer rides
- Motor: 750W Direct Drive Hub
- Battery: 48V 14 Ah Lithium-Ion
- 180mm Mechanical Disk Brakes
7. TWENTY8 E45 Step-Thru
There’s no question about it; the TWENTY8 E45’s Step-Thru electric bike is luxurious. With Busch and Müller lights, a Selle Royal Respiro saddle, and Ryde Taurus 2000 rims, it’s a head-turner in the ebike world. Suitable for both city commutes and excursions onto the bike trail with friends, this very comfortable Step-Thru has a performance motor that pushes it up to 28 mph. It allows you to ramp up cardio at your own pace, with up to 340% pedal support to supplement when your legs turn to jelly. This selection is a stylish choice with a surprising amount of pep, and it’s a worthwhile expenditure if you don’t mind spending a little more on quality.
- Busch and Müller Lights
- Speedy 28 mph
- Up to 340% Pedal Support
- 25-75 mile range per charge
- Weight: 56 lbs
- Motor: BOSCH Performance Speed 350W
- Battery: BOSCH PowerTube 500 36V
8. Tern Vektron D8 Folding Electric Bike
Reviewer GerryB of Boston put it perfectly in his comments on the D8: “Wow… At 60, with health issues and having no time on any ebike before I purchased this D8 – I didn’t know what to expect. Would it feel like riding a “real” bike. Would it provide exercise? Would it have enough power to haul my sorry fat carcass and its weight? It turns out it’s easy to describe the experience… it’s like you’re 20 years old again, it’s September, and you’ve been riding every day since March.”
EBikes are perfect for older riders with sore knees and limited stamina, as the electric motor’s pedal assist gives them the confidence to conquer journeys they would never otherwise consider. Even if you’re young and in good health, they’re just plain fun to ride. Other reviewers describe this bike as giving them the feeling of “super powers,” and the impressive 80 Nm of maximum torque makes you feel like a cool vigilante zipping around town in search of purse-snatchers. With a nifty adjustable size and foldable frame, this bike can accommodate riders of almost any size before stowing away with the rest of your hero gear.
- Lightweight at just 49 lbs, 9.6 oz
- It folds up for convenient storage and transport
- Accelerates quickly with 80 Nm of maximum torque
- Resizeable on the fly can accommodate riders of a broad height range
- Pedal-assist up to 20mph
- Motor: Bafang M400 Drive System 36V 250 W
- Battery: Lithium-Ion 400 watt-hours
- Range: 25-56 miles with pedal assist
9. LEVEL Commuter Electric Bike
Aventon’s LEVEL commuter is the perfect eBike for zipping out and grabbing lunch for the office; you’ll get sunshine and fresh air without coming back drenched in sweat. No more heading out for a break in the car and getting stuck in traffic, going from one enclosed air-conditioned space (the office) to another (your boring old vehicle.) When you’re unencumbered on the way to pick up what you need, you can bomb around backroads and shortcuts at up to 28mph, a decent clip that will probably get you to your destination faster than a car due to your maneuverability. Coil spring suspension means rough road conditions or gravelly muddy trails won’t shake you up like a lunch-break martini at the bar. Once you’ve secured your haul onto the convenient pre-installed rack, you can engage the pedal assist and get back in time to be the office hero.
- Top speed of 28 mph with pedal assist
- Front fork has a lockable coil spring suspension for a smooth ride
- Comes in 3 sizes to fit a wide range of rider heights
- Backlit LCD allows you to monitor battery and metrics even after dark
- Battery: Removable Internal Lithium-ion 48V, 14Ah (672Wh)
- Motor: 750W (Peak) 500W (Sustained), 48V Brushless Rear Hub Motor
- Range: 40 miles average
- Weight: 62 lbs
10. EMOJO Lynx Pro Sport 500W 48V Folding Electric Bike
With a somewhat limited range of 30 miles, the EMOJO Lynx Pro Sport is good for short commutes, running errands, or leisure riding. But where this bike shines is on the trail, especially for a hunting or fishing expedition. The fat Kenda on-road tires are driven by a powerful 500W motor that can handle hills, beaches, and pebbly game trails with little effort. A traditional bike for this sort of excursion is going to leave you exhausted, and a conventional gas motorbike is so loud and smelly it’ll send all your game scurrying into their burrows. Electric bikes are becoming more and more of a common sight out in nature, as they have the perfect balance of performance, quiet, and portability that outdoor enthusiasts require. When you’ve secured your catch, and you’re ready to head back to civilization, the tough aluminum frame folds up small for storage and transport.
- Available in 3 colorways: blue, black, and white.
- Foldable aluminum frame
- 4 x 20 fat Kenda on-road tires mounted on stylish Bafang aluminum wheels
- Motor: 48V 500W DC Brushless
- Battery: 48V 10.4 Ah Lithium-Ion
- Weight: 55 lbs (with battery)
- Range: 30 miles
11. Magnum Metro
This smart and stylish eBike may look like something a hip young college professor would ride to campus, but it’s hardly pretentious. With an impressive top range of about 60 miles, it’s the perfect electric bike for a 30-mile commute. The pedal assist takes the strain off sensitive joints and knees, allowing you to speed your way to your destination at up to 25mph while still engaging the pedals and building stamina. Lack of momentum from travelling in vehicular traffic is no issue, as you can easily engage the motor to climb hills and navigate the road without a running start. Multiple assist modes mean you can slow it down to normal bike speed and weave around student pedestrians staring at their phones. The step-thru frame makes for an easy dismount on the way to the faculty lounge.
- 30-60 mile range depending on riding style, terrain, rider weight, and pedal-assist level
- 25mph top speed with pedal assist, 20mph with throttle only
- Step thru frame makes it easy to get on and off
- Tires are Schwalbe Big Ben, Kevlar Lined, Reflective Sidewall Stripe / Schrader Valve
- Weight: 55 lbs
- Battery: 48V 13 Ah
- Motor: 48V 500W
12. Emojo RAM SS Street Edition
The Emojo RAM SS Street Edition has many similarities to its sibling, the Emojo Lynx Pro Sport, but two key features put this eBike in a different class. The first is its compact and powerful 750W motor that gives you a strong boost to get up challenging hills by simply engaging the throttle instead of straining your muscles to the breaking point. Seven-speed Shimano gear transmission coupled with Dual Tektro disc brakes allow you to master and explore many off-road destinations with more peace of mind and safety. The other feature differentiating the RAM SS from the Lynx Pro is the RAM’s foldable aluminum frame, which allows you to stow and go on the fly.
- Foldable aluminum frame (folded dimensions: 39L x 18 W x 26H
- Shimano 7 speed transmission
- 4 x 20 Kenda fat tires
- Motor: 48V 750W DC Brushless
- Battery: 48V 10.4 Ah Lithium-Ion
- Weight: 55lbs with battery
13. Tern HSD S+ Folding Electric Bike
The Tern HSD S+ is a great electric bike for longer rides, with a maximum range of 74 miles. The BOSCH performance motor is strong enough to tow your groceries back home or even support a small passenger. Pedal-assist helps you get up to a steady 20mph without fatigue, making this a good electric bike for hilly commuting. If it rains before you can get back into town, don’t worry, the responsive Magura MT4 hydraulic disc brakes work consistently even in wet road conditions. The aesthetic bright blue frame is compact and foldable, meaning you can store your eBike in spaces as small as a bedroom closet.
- Range: 32-74 miles
- Foldable frame
- Pedals are an urban platform with a non-slip surface, sealed bearings
- Gates Carbon Drive CDX Belt lasts twice as long as a normal chain and works without greasy, messy lubrication
- Battery: 500W Lithium-Ion
- Motor: BOSCH Performance Line (Gen 3)
- Weight: 58lbs 11.2 oz
14. Co-op Cycles CTY e2.2 Electric Bike
This eBike by Co-Op Cycles has an extraordinary battery life that will take you up to 50 miles with pedal assist engaged constantly, though, with intermittent use of the feature, you can push it over 100 miles and still have some juice left. This means you can ride around town and explore all the little hidden places you never knew were there without wasting a ton of gas and pumping exhaust into the atmosphere. If you find any hidden gems that absolutely need to come back home with you, an integrated rack will carry nearly 60 lbs of cargo without difficulty. You can even take the kiddo along for the ride in a carrier without worrying about running out of steam half-way. Explore the expansive world in your backyard without strain, with a silently strong motor that packs 60 Nm of torque to take you and your precious cargo anywhere you need to go.
- Range: 50 miles with pedal assist
- Fork: Suntour MOBIE-A32 with front suspension
- Motor is strong and quiet, with 60 Nm of torque
- Pannier-compatible rear rack can carry up to 59 lbs of cargo or a kid carrier
- Front and rear fenders included so you can ride confidently in all weather and terrain conditions without getting filthy
- Battery: Shimano E8010 36V 504 watt-hours
- Motor: Shimano E6100 250W
- Weight: 52.9 lbs
15. CrossCurrent X Ultimate Commuter Bike
The CrossCurrent X Ultimate Commuter bike truly lives up to the Ultimate title, with Forbes referring to it as “a true car replacement.” What makes it such a marvel of micro-mobility? Nearly all of its features are designed with the regular EBike commuter and rider in mind. The bike has an impressive 80+ mile range, fast 28mph top speed, a powerful 750W Bafang geared hub motor, an extended range 52V battery, versatile nine-speed transmission, and a rear rack with decent 50 lb capacity.
This all amounts to a juiced-up eBike that can handle even the most strenuous commute without you breaking a sweat if you don’t want to, packaged in an understated no-frills design. The thoughtfully designed features make this one of the best electric commuter bikes available, even if you’re an experienced eBike rider.
- Range: 80+ miles
- Speed: 28 mph
- Included front and rear mudguards
- 50 lb capacity rear rack
- Available in 3 colorways: Black, red, and gray
- Motor: 750W Bafang (1,300W Peak)
- Battery: 52V / 19.2Ah Extended Range
- Transmission: Shimano Altus 9 Speed
- Weight: 65 lbs
16. Verve+ 2 Lowstep
Comfort, control, and safety are the focus of the Verve + 2 Lowstep. Elements like the road-smoothing suspension seat post, wide puncture-resistant tires for stability, and ergonomic grips help you have the most comfortable ride of your life. Even those with back problems or age-related health issues can get out on the road and feel like a kid on summer vacation again. The “Lowstep” refers to another comfort-related feature, step-through geometry, which means you don’t have to sling your leg over the top tube just to get on. The motor is placed centrally on the bottom tube, making it easier to balance and control while you ride.
Whether you’re going on a leisurely countryside pedal-about with your partner or commuting to your job, the Verve+ 2 Lowstep turns biking into a joy rather than an exhausting chore.
- Alpha Gold Aluminum Frame
- Top Speed of 20mph
- Mudguards included so you can stay tidy in muddy and wet conditions
- Motor housed around the bottom bracket for a lower center of balance and better handling
- Removable Powerpack battery charges completely in just 3.5 hours
- Suspension seat post absorbs fatiguing road bumps
- Battery: BOSCH Powerpack 400
- Motor: Bosch Active, 250 watts, 40 Nm
- Weight: 51.98 lbs
- Alloy rear rack
17. Vale Go! 9D EQ
The Vale Go! 9D EQ isn’t just a formidable electric bike perfect for commuting to work and riding country trails– it’s also gorgeously designed. Available in a rainbow of 6 stunning colours, this bike embraces a minimalist aesthetic, with internal cable routing and a removable battery pack that’s almost indistinguishable from the frame when installed. Patented Flat Foot Technology provides a comfortable upright seating position that allows you to plant your feet flat on the ground whenever you feel the need.
Balanced motor placement and responsive disc brakes contribute to a more stable ride that makes you feel like you’re in complete control. The Bosch Kiox hardy gorilla glass display attaches with a firm magnet to your handlebars, keeping you up to date with info like battery life, support level, speed, heart rate and more. The coolest part is it can pair with your phone via Bluetooth to share GPS map routes and useful ride data with other riders using the eBikeConnect app.
- Frame: 6061-T6 aluminum w/ patented Flat Foot Technology
- Tires: Schwalbe Super Moto-X 27.5″ × 2.4″ with puncture-resistant Kevlar guard casing and reflective stripe
- Bosch’s removable Powertubes embrace a minimalist design, integrating almost seamlessly with the bike frame
- Internal cable routing contributes to the simple, uncluttered design silhouette
- Smooth suspension bike post for a comfier ride on rough terrain
- Battery: BOSCH Powertube 500
- Motor: BOSH Active Line Plus, 250W
- Weight: 54 lbs